About Teresa- La Lupa
Celebrant. Death, bereavement and birth Doula. Trauma Inclusive Yoga and movement guide. Director of Yoga and Doula Teacher Trainings locally & Internationally. Shamanic Practitioner. Womb Healings. Somatic dance guide. Mentor. Midwife to rebirth.
Queer, transinclusive feminist.
Forever humble student.
It is with sincere gratitude and deep reverence that I bow to the lineages, teachings and practices that have shaped my work. I am honoured to have been gifted the blessings and rites to share specific lineages from yoga, Italian, Celtic & Andean Shamanism and womb rituals. Clara Renzetti, Dona Maria, Gurmukh, Santa Tierras, Wilko Apaza Quispe, Rocio Alarcon, Joseph and Lillian LePage, Maria Mendoza, Amber Grey, Rainbow Jaguar Institute and Carolyn McManus.
I want to acknowledge that my home, and the place I offer many of my services is on the west coast of British Columbia, on unceded Indigenous land belonging to the Coast Salish peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), Stó:lō and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
This past year I have committed to the work of engaging with community and cultural consultants. I am dedicated to continuing to grow an ethical healing practice that is accountable, honoring and rooted in social justice and inclusion.
I have been practicing for 25 years and teaching for over 15; leading international and local Yoga Alliance certified teacher trainings, sharing workshops, yoga, dance, ceremony, retreats, classes and teacher mentorships as an experienced registered yoga teacher- ERYT 500 and prenatal registered yoga teacher-PRYT, birth and death doula and shamanic practitioner. My offerings span pre-conception, birth and death work, babies, children, animals, teens and adults.
My teachings reflect over 20 years of experience and immersion in:
• Full Spectrum Doula -I have supported people (however they identify or express gender) through the full spectrum of conception, pregnancy, birth and postpartum experiences from abortion, pregnancy loss, adoption, surrogacy, miscarriage and stillbirth.
*Death & bereavement Doula - midwifing spaces for humans or animals: 1) those transitioning from the physical to the spiritual realm, 2) those supporting loved ones as they prepare for or integrate the death of a loved one, 3) those navigating the death of an old life, narrative, state of health, relationship. I hold space in the way requested/needed and create specific ceremony and rituals to navigate the transition with honouring, love, space and sacredness.
• Celebrant-I am certified to create and lead personalized ceremonies, group ceremonies of all kinds-for transitions of any kind, marriage, divorce, blessing ways, coming out, celebration of life
Italian, Celtic and Andean Shamanism-earth based spiritualities from my ancestry and Peru. I am a full mesa carrier and a committed shamanic practitioner in the Incan tradition and have been bestowed blessings and rites to share the knowledge and rituals
• Trauma Inclusive yoga and movement guide- paths to embodied resilience, embodied boundaries, self regulation for daily life. I have studied with Jane Clapp, Nicole Marcia and Amber Grey (who advises the UN on psychological first aid and trauma therapy)
• Womb Work- Informed from traditions from Ecuador, Mexico and Italy. Restoring, reclaiming and integrating rituals for any and all womb related trauma and specific post partum womb rituals to support physical, emotional, energetic integration
• Martial arts- Capoeira, Bo Staff, Quigong
• Bodywork- trained bodyworker in Thai massage, relaxation and hot stone
• Ceremony-blessing ways, celebration of life, death rituals, weddings, coming out, divorce
• Reiki and shamanic energy work, tapping into the realms of support beyond physical touch
• Dance -I am a Certified Journey Dance facilitator- plus years of experience in breakdance, belly dance, hip hop, 5 Rhythms, Ecstatic Dance
• Esoteric Anatomy- a spiritual approach to massage and bodywork, demystifying an ancient model for understanding energy in nature and working with consciousness in healing arts
• Somatic therapy-the relationship between mind and body in regard to trauma and the practices of restoring
• Yoga from Tantric/Kundalini/Hatha traditions
• Human kinetics
• Personal training-with a focus in rehabilitation and sports specific training
* Competing at high level sports
As a little girl I followed my soul hunger. I was a seeker who challenged societal, cultural and religious conditioning. At the age of 6 I was the only girl playing in an all boys hockey league. As a youth I challenged religious leaders on the rituals that excluded girls and a challenged authority figures/teachers to create more inclusive learning spaces.
As a young person of 13 years old I was entranced by the books I was blessed to find at garage sales on yoga, transcendental meditation, yogic philosophy, buddhism and shamanism. I was literally in the closet exploring these practices as I feared they would not be condoned by my family and contrary to their religious practices. I was grateful that I had these teachings to lean on as I was also deeply in the closet with my sexuality and drowning in religious/cultural stories of shame.
Yoga, meditation, shamanism, dance and martial arts have saved my life on numerous occasions. These practices nourished me and supported me deeply when I was navigating depression, sexual assault, homelessness, cancer, emotional abuse, divorce and coming out. During these times I learned how to hold myself with compassion for my humanness, perceptually shift so that my wholeness included the brokenness and messiness, moved from self loathing to a spacious acceptance, restored from traumas, and reclaimed my body, mind and spirit.
I bow deeply to the ongoing journey of restoring and learning. I am inspired by our capacity to rebirth. I value and harness the deep medicine from all my experiences as fertile soil from which to teach, relate and help students liberate their lives.
I have always known my soul was called to serve, create change and light fires.
When I am not guiding others I love surfing, traveling internationally, trail running in BC mountains, being with dogs, dancing to deep bass, playing sports, studying epigenetics-herbalism-polyvagal theory and hanging out with my beautiful family, partner and friends.
What Do I Love About What I Do?
I LOVE midwifing rebirth, birth and death and supporting people on their path to reclamation.
I love practicing total presence.
I love witnessing celebrating courage, breakthroughs, forgiveness and the resiliency of the human spirit.
I love that I am always learning.
I love going deep. I'm not scared of the dark.
I love the challenge of creating sacred spaces.
I love creating spaces of raw transparency and sharing in a deeper intimacy.
I love feeding the revolution of love: through change, becoming informed, connection, awareness of choice, challenging what has been built up around us. I revel in the undeniable call I have to serve, uplift, poke, provoke, elevate and feed this revolution of love.
THE STORY OF LA LUPA VIA
La Lupa Via translates as, The Wolf Way in Italian-Latin.
I am of Italian-European heritage and grew up with a potent and mystical affinity to both Italian Wolf Goddesses, Feronia-queen of the wilderness, fertility and wolves and Lucina-goddess of wild things, protector of childbirth and a guide through life's transitions. I have also felt a deep soul knowing to La Loba, the story from Northern Mexico as shared by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, about a wolf woman-bone collector, who resurrects the wild spirit of life from the depths of the underworld.
At the heart and soul of my offerings as a death doula, full spectrum doula, trauma yoga therapist, teacher trainer, ceremonialist, shamanic practitioner, mentor and womb healer is the spirit of the wolf and these wolf goddesses: the energy of midwifing inclusive spaces of rebirth, soul reclamation and life liberation and returning to our wild instincts and deep knowing.
I have dreamed of wolves since I was a little girl and their presence in these dreams and in person have guided, inspired and protected me through the many deaths, rebirths and transitions in my life. (including the cancer journey-see picture to the right)
Wolves represent community, instinct, appetite for freedom, intuition, innovation, rituals, expression, intimacy, teachers, lunar connections-everything that my works holds as foundations for restoration and liberated living and dying..
May you come home to your untamed, wise, dark, light, messy transparency and remember the wolf wisdom within you that howls to remind you that you are wild, worthy, whole and free.